One of the leading causes of blindness in adults and an eye condition damaging the optic nerve to an extent of unable repairing, Glaucoma is a group of eye conditions caused due to high pressure in the eyes.
Glaucoma can cause a person to lose nerve tissue which results in vision loss. Its effects are so gradual that a person may not notice a change in vision until and unless the condition is at an advanced stage.
The vision loss a person faces due to glaucoma can’t be recovered which makes eye diagnostic tests, including measurements of the eye pressure, extremely necessary to diagnose the problem for early treatment. If the problem is recognized earlier, the vision loss can be slowed or prevented but the need for treatment is there for the rest of the life.
SYMPTOMS OF GLAUCOMA
As per the Best Eye Surgeon in Chandigarh, signs, and symptoms of glaucoma can depend upon the type and stage of the conditions like:
- Open-angle Glaucoma
- Patchy blind spots in the side and central vision, commonly in both eyes
- Tunnel vision in the more severe stage
- Acute angle-closure Glaucoma
- Severe headaches
- Eye pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Blurred vision
- Halos around lights and shiny surrounding
- Eye redness
TREATMENT FOR GLAUCOMA
The damage caused by Glaucoma is permanent and cannot be reversed but some medication and surgeries can help stop further damage. According to Best Eye Surgeon in Chandigarh here are some treatments related to glaucoma:
- Medication: Glaucoma can be well controlled with medicines like eye drops if taken regularly and monitored frequently is essential as advised by the ophthalmologist.
- Lasers: Angle-closure Glaucoma, Yag Laser Iridotomy are important procedures to make a hole in the iris and an alternate drainage passage. Argon Laser Trabeculoplasty is helpful in open-angle Glaucoma.
- Surgeries are required for cases that are not controlled with medications and need.
Glaucoma is a serious issue that occurs mostly in adults over 60 making them go almost blind and impossible to reverse the damage. However, with proper medication and treatment, the Best Eye Surgeon in Chandigarh can help prevent further losses.